Thursday, May 6, 2010

The desert blooms and the National Day of Prayer

Barren desert. That's what most people see when visiting the Tucson Desert. In fact, "barren" is probably the first thing that most people think of when talking about any desert. I don't blame them. That's all I saw when I first moved to Tucson in 1994. But then, Bill and Lois Stallo came for a visit.

The Desert Blooms
At the time, Bill and Lois made an annual summer drive to Texas to visit family. They always made sure they drove through Tucson. Why? They loved the "beauty" of the desert. Now that we were living in Tucson, it also allowed our dear friends and mentors to visit with Sarah and I. I remember driving with them through the Tucson Desert listening to Lois go on and on about the glorious scenery. All I saw was barren desert. They saw beauty. Confused, I interrupted a conversation midstream to ask them what in God's created earth they were seeing. I vividly remember pulling over and the four of us taking a short walk into a typical barren part of the Tucson area. Like a kid in a candy story, Lois pointed out the magnificent colors of the desert blooms, the brilliance of some tiny blossoms on some desert shrubs and all of this painted on the fluorescent canvas of the desert sky. They pointed out the glorious beauty in the little things. Shamefully, I had overlooked some of God's best artwork simply because it wasn't big enough for me.

God is in the Little
That day changed my life. From that day forward, I began to realize that God's glory is also found in the little things--the small things that are constantly overlooked. Today I Pastor a small church. We have a small room that we meet in. If we add twenty more people on a Sunday morning, we're going to be in big trouble. We have a small budget, small Bible studies and a lot of small children. But, God is moving in the little things. There is life transformation that is happening with each week. Like the magnificent colors of the desert blooms, it's absolutely spectacular at times. I've grown up a little since then. I find myself pulling over a little more often in life to stop and glory in the small things that get lost in the "barrenness" of my life.

Small Movements of God
I've been reading a lot about movements recently. The only that troubles me with everything I'm reading is this emphasis on movements being big events with lots of people and lots of dramatic change involved. I am challenged to see the powerful and majestic movements of God in the small things. You will find that those simple and often overlooked and unnoticed things are just as glorious as those large events of grandeur that often become the inspiration for best selling books and movies. On this National Day of Prayer, many of us will pray for God to move in our families, church, communities and nation. Before you think that God is silent and not answering your prayers, make sure that you are not overlooking the powerful and lasting move of God that is more like a rip tide and not a tidal wave. Before you know it, that rip tide is going to sweep you away into the glorious story for His glory.

(1 Ki 19:11-12 NIV) The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. {12} After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

(Psa 46:10 NIV) "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amen. That was really well written and kind of hit me like a brick. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete